Let’s Celebrate Shakespeare’s Birthday!
William Shakespeare is a world renowned author of plays and poems that continue to influence readers today. It is believed that he was born on April 23rd. Many countries around the world use this day to celebrate and remember Mr. Shakespeare as one who continues to give to the literary world. He wrote stories of history, adventure, love, comedy, tragedy, and even fairytales. His use of language contains a variety of sentence structures, varied sentence lengths and use of metaphors; each, reading and writing features that our students learn and practice today in school.
In celebration, here are five fun ideas to experience and remember William Shakespeare:
- AIM-VA has many of Shakespeare’s books. Browse AIM-VA’s Shakespearian resources and order books to help students with print disabilities experience the writings of this acclaimed author.
- Road trip to Washington, D.C. for the birthday celebration! Step back in time to the 17th century with the Folger Shakespeare Library as they celebrate this beloved author. A few activities to look forward to are musical and theatrical performances, birthday cake, and a special appearance by Queen Elizabeth I.
- View a video. Students can learn about the history and achievements of Shakespeare. Check out these short, interesting video’s about our loved author: Mini Biography and Shakespeare for students.
- Word Fun! Shakespeare has been credited to have introduced 3,000 words to the English language. Enjoy word games with his original words such as prabble, bedazzle, and hugger-mugger. His famous quotes have become part of today’s vernacular. Can your students explain these phrases that are often used today?
- Classroom activities and teaching models have been written by the Folger Shakespeare Library. Check out their website and explore the many activities to help students discover and understand Shakespeare.
Enjoy your Shakespeare Celebration!
“Knowing I lov’d my books, he furnish’d me From mine own library with volumes that I prize…”
AIM-VA provides training and professional development to educators throughout Virginia. Training can be specific to the needs of the school division or educator. Contact us to learn more about AIM-VA and how we can support your students.